In Nepal, most of the research scholars who are experienced and knowledgeable are either scattered or less recognized in the process of national development.Minimal utilization of potential capacities of intellectuals in development is one of the weaknesses of manpower management.The lack of the collective efforts of research scholars and the absence of congenial environment for improving acquired knowledge and skills are the characteristics of Nepali society. The Nepal Intellectual Forum(NepIF) is an outcome of this realization which is designed as a multidisciplinary forum of experts’,educated and experienced researchers in the fields of pure and applied sciences.The forum is registered in the Kaski District Administrative Office as a non-profit, non-governmental organization in 2010.It aims at exploring new knowledge and skills of development and implementing the best knowledge,skills and experiences for all round development of the nation.Realizing the need for organized efforts of intellectuals in the development of the nation and energising individuals for research and academic excellence, this typical forum has been established.Being a forum of research scholars and outstanding intellectuals,it keeps the capacity to provide consultancy services to government authorities and investigate new knowledge of importance that are crucial for national development.The forum not only concentrates its acitivities on economic,social,cultural and political arena but also in the fields of science and technology.
The NepIF aims at developing multidisciplinary forum of intellectuals for understanding and solving social,economic,political and natural problems of both national and international significance.It attempts to bring varied capabilities of research scholors in one place and harnesses a congenial environment of investigating new knowledge of significance.
Since the forum is designed as a roster of multidisciplinary team of research scholars its activities will cover different fields of work.Some of the areas of activities are:
- Education policy, planning and management
- Culture and people
- Language and literature
- Urban environmental management
- Good governance
- Conflict management and conflict resolution
- Climate change
- Social, cultural and anthropological studies
- Eco-tourism and park management
- Watershed management
- Mountain environment
- Valuation of ecosystem services
- Forestry and forest products
- Biodiversity conservation and management
- Environmental impact assessment
- Rural development
- Project planning and management
- Resource management
- Community forestry
- Population and environment
- Reproductive health and hygiene
- Ageing population
- Agricultural development
- Hydropower, road and irrigation project management
The forum will focus its activities on social relationship, economic development, political discourse, cultural pattern and in different fields of natural sciences. The major activities of the forum are:
- Operating research on social, economic, political and natural problems of importance by establishing relationships with national and international organizations;
- Organizing conference, seminars, workshops and interactive programs on the issues of development and academic persuasions;
- Encouraging young intellectuals to conduct research by facilitating training and workshops on demand and train them involving in research projects;
- Preparing a roster of intellectuals according to their fields of specialization and academic performances;
- Counselling the public and private agencies for the implementation of their programs;
- Providing necessary consultancy services to different institutions/organizations on request;
- Playing the role of catalysts in identifying problems, setting strategies and policies, and implementing plans and programs to planning agency; and
- Disseminating research outcomes and information through the publication of books, journals and the creation of websites.
The General Assembly of the NepIF is the supreme body which meets once in a year. The General Assembly elects the executive committee to look after the programs and day to day work of the organization.The executive committee consists of a Chairman, a Vice-Chairman, a Secretary, a Joint-secretary, a Treasurer and four Members. According to the constitution of NepIF any person who abides by NepIF constitution, rules and regulations can apply for its membership. There is also a provision of honorary members, life members and patrons.
The NepIF is non-profit organization. It is run by membership fees,individual/institutional contributions, and overhead cost generated by conducting research projects and training.